The dermaplaning procedure is a manual exfoliation treatment that removes the outer most layers of dead skin by using the edge of a scalpel. The blade is moved at an angle superficially along the surface of the skin to smooth and exfoliate cells, leaving the skin immediately smooth, supple and vibrant.
After exfoliation, enjoy the benefits of having no vellus hair on the face and better skincare product penetration and performance. The smooth facial surface that results from a dermaplaning session is perfectly primed for further skin rejuvenation treatments such as facials, chemical peels, or even laser resurfacing.
- Avoid the sun both before and after treatment.
- Recently tanned skin cannot be treated. Treatment within 2 weeks of active tanning (natural sunlight, artificial tanning booth, or sunless tanning products) may result in hypopigmentation (white spots) or hyperpigmentation (dark spots) that may not clear for several months if at all.
- Discontinue the use of topical medications and products that may be irritating to the skin 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Discontinue use of all Retin-A, retinoids, tretinoin, alpha-hydroxy acids, beta-hydroxy acids, exfoliating creams, lotions or treatments, skin lighteners, or topical acne products 5-7 days before your treatment.
- Keep skin hydrated
- Please protect your skin by using sunscreen.
- Avoid waxing two weeks prior to treatment.
- Please avoid other skin procedures for two weeks prior to your dermaplaning treatment.
- If you have an active cold sore, (perioral herpes simplex virus), please reschedule your appointment.
- Due to the body’s inflammatory response to Covid-19 and other viruses, we ask that you postpone your procedure 2 weeks after being symptom-free. This helps minimize post-procedure inflammatory responses your body may experience.
Post Procedure Instructions
- Use a gentle cleanser and apply moisturizer at least twice daily for a minimum of 7 days post- treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure as much as possible for a minimum of 3 days post-treatment. If you must be in the sun, apply SPF 30 or greater, reapply often, wear a wide-brimmed hat, and seek shade when possible. Be careful of sun exposure and wear sunscreen daily for 2 weeks.
- Avoid excessive heat 3 days post-treatment, i.e. heavy workouts, steam rooms or saunas, etc.
- Avoid chlorine for 24 hours.
- Avoid facial waxing for 7 days.
- Do not pick, scratch, or aggressively rub the treated area.
- No scrubs, polishers, or aggressive brushes should be used for 48 hrs.
- Do apply active serums as absorption levels will be elevated.
- You may experience slight peeling for the first few days. Slight windburn sensation and/or blotchiness are normal for the first few days. Skin care products may tingle or slightly burn for the first 2 days.